Update on the Purple People Eater
Got a little more work done on her and did a major change to her face but she’s still not painted. I’ll be breaking out my commercial acrylics because I hesitate the use handmade egg temperas on a doll I’m going to sell without trying it out on a practice piece first. I’m thinking she’ll be dry enough tonight for me to paint her. That should give her enough time to dry before I add her hair. As a reminder of what her face looked after the last round of sculpting:
Once again, I forgot to take a photo of my original sketch but, after looking at that tiny little nose again, I just knew I needed to go with my original idea of big, fat smiling lips and no nose. So I scraped the nose and mouth off and started that part over. My first try at her new lips were waaaay too huge so I had to tone it down a bit. I finally came up with something I liked, including her rather extreme overbight.
This will be the first doll I’ve made that required so much painting. Usually, I only have to paint the head hands and feet and the rest is cloth over a wire armature wrapped in batting. But after taking a class with the very awesome Susie McMahon (something I still need to do a write-up on), I’ve taken more of an interest in painting my dolls.